Thursday, July 28, 2011

Travelling to Singapore

Travelling to Singapore
By: Maye T. 




                A year ago my boyfriend and I planned to go to Singapore together with our friends. I’ve longed to be in the land of Singapore. Finally, he was able to purchase a great deal promo. Thanks to Airphil Express, the fare was purchased at cheapest possible figures. The travel period was still far, so there was ample time to save for the pocket money. Fortunately a good friend of ours offered her home where we can stay for 3 days. Of course, we accepted the offer, hotel rates in Singapore is very expensive.
                June came, time to depart to Singapore. Both of us were so excited for this much awaited trip.  Airphil express departed from Mactan International Airport at around 3pm. We have to be in the airport for at least 3 hours before the departure time. First thing we did was to check in to our airline, we did not encounter any problem with our baggage. Airphil Express has free 15 kg baggage allowance unlike other airlines.
                After checking in, we paid the terminal fee, which is PHP 550.00 and showed the personnel the travel tax receipts. The immigration is next. It was a not so nice encounter with an immigration officer. I don’t know if it was still part of his job to be rude. Some would say that immigration officers need to be tough. Yes, I understand that they need to be tough but toughness is very different from rudeness.  He asked about a letter from our friend (I don’t know what it was called), when we could not present it, he asked us about a hotel reservation. When we found out that there was a slim chance for us to go to Singapore, all of the beautiful pictures inside my mind were shattered, and the excitement was gone. But I told myself, “no guts, and no glory”.  After few minutes of heated discussions, the officer told us to fill up a form and allowed us to pass through for the final security check. We thought that it was the FINAL process, but here comes another two female immigration officers checking our papers. The same awkward feeling was felt again. But the two female officers were so nice when they ask for questions and for our documents. They acted professionally which would match their uniforms. They asked us to fill up another form and looked for our IDs. A very important tip, bring your ID wherever you go.  The final security check was finished. A feeling of great relief after passing through difficulties with the immigration and finally we were seated in the boarding gate, waiting for our plane.
                It was just a short relief when I realized that we still need to pass another immigration officer, this time a Singaporean national. While still boarding the plane, I could not remove all my thoughts about the possible questions the officer will throw at me or what other documents they will be asking from me or are they as rude as what we have experienced back home. I tried to sleep but I just can’t rest my mind. It was almost 7pm when we landed on the grounds of Singapore. The airport was perfect, beautiful and modern but at that moment I don’t have time for appreciating the great structures of the airport. I was so preoccupied about the screening by the Singaporean immigration officer. I can feel my heart beat as I approach the line; it’s getting faster and faster.  My boyfriend came first before my turn, but he was very fortunate because he was not asked about anything, his face was just carefully viewed and then he allowed him to pass. Now it’s my turn, I greeted the officer politely just like the usual and he smiled back at me and nodded. I thought this was going to be easy but I was wrong. He meticulously looked at my face and compared it with my passport and then he asked for the other officer to assist me into the other room. I was shaking at that time but I have to be strong and hide that I want to cry. In the room, 2 or 3 females were seated. I waited for my turn to be interrogated but I remain calm, I was train to be calm during stressful situation. For the nth time it was now my turn, the officer asked me if this is my first time to be in Singapore and I said yes. They asked for a national issued ID, asked me about my work, how many days will I be staying and where am I staying. I remained calm and the shaking was gone because I answered the questions honestly. The officer led the way to the exit and I saw my worried boyfriend outside the far end of the door. I stared at my passport and so I am allowed to stay.
                Both of us had a big sigh and were laughing because it was not easy but we made it.  We surely made our trip memorable. We went to different places and enjoyed the rest of Singapore from morning till night. Thanks to the immigration officers who made our trip difficult but travelling to Singapore, the difficulties was all worth it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disney Cruise News

Princess Cruises Press Releases

Carnival Cruise Funville: Forum

Royal Caribbean

Trans-Asia Shipping: News and Updates

International Aero Engines: News

Bombardier Inc. Press Releases

Airbus: News Releases

Boeing: News Releases

Southwest Airlines News Release

Airline Reporter

Garuda Indonesia

Qatar Airways Latest News

Lufthansa Media Relations: Latest News

flyseair

Airphil Express news and updates!!

Cebu Pacific Airlines: Book Promo Fares, Seat Sale, Flights Schedules